Thursday, December 11, 2008

Divine Intervention

On September 7, 2007 I woke up with the left side of my face completely paralyzed. Many of you know...I had very slow recovery over the following months. My case was severe enough that it has left residual effects of inability to completely close my left eye and a "crooked smile" as Caden calls it.

Yesterday I went to an ENT/Plastic Surgeon who I found online. He was part of a team of doctors who rebuilt a women's face after it had been shot off. He was on Oprah and Larry King Live. What I didn't know is that he'd broke his back last December and has a spinal cord injury that has paralyzed him from the waist down.

He told me that I could get better...gave me the tools to get better. Things I can control that no other doctor has yet told me. I am renewed and determined to feel comfortable having a snapshot taken or being in a family portrait. I am also humbled by a doctor giving me so much compassion about having an inability to smile when he can not stand up and walk. The physical therapy he taught me yesterday are the same techniques he uses. Three months ago, he couldn't move his legs and yesterday he walked for one minute bearing 80% of his body weight. He said, if I can do it, you can do it. Wow...talk about motivation.

Anyway, so the next time you see me...ask me how my physical therapy is going. 2 sessions of 15 minutes in front of the mirror making faces...is not as easy as it sounds (especially with 3 kids and a full time job) and I need some accountability for actually doing it!!

Logan and Presley

Caden

Logan trying out his new big boy pants...


cha cha cha chia...my little chia pet.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

You are BEAUTIFUL - crooked smile or not! That being said I know what it feels like to look in the mirror and not be totally confident in what you see even if you are the only one who really notices, so as you are doing your face excercises I'll be doing my "baby butt" exercises. I'm glad the doc gave you motivation and the tools to improve. You've always been on to face a challenge head-on, so I have confidence this will be no different. Go get'em Roni Rose! Love ya - E

kristinkfitness said...

I'm so glad you found a doctor you trust and admire! I hope his techniques help you and I'll be in town in about 2 weeks for a full report! (See I'm holding you accountable) =)

Wendy said...

I am so happy to hear about your doctor! While I think you look great, I think its wonderful that you have finally found a doctor that understands what you are going through.

I love the Christmas pictures - as I always tell myself (over and over again!), I am capturing the kids at this stage in their lives - and being silly, funny, and all the other faces they make it what makes the pictures so great. Looking back you will love the pictures that weren't perfect more than the ones that were because thoes are the ones that usually capture the 'true' kid. :-)

Followers

Thirty One

Thirty One
Click on the Picture to enter my site