Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Papa Joe Coggins Jr.

Saturday morning my grandfather passed away. He was 85 and lived a long full life...however, his death wasn't without its surprise and anguish. He will be forever missed. I have some really fond memories of Papa...#1 He loved my Mama...not like most married loves...like the Notebook type of love. He just absolutely adored her. When she died 5 years ago, I was pregnant with Caden and Heath asked him the key to a successful marriage...he told him, to never, ever be angry with one another at the end of the day. We've very much taken that advise to heart.

Also, he loved his children...my Aunt and my mom were not his biological daughters...their father was killed in a military plane crash but he came along very shortly after and I honestly believe, it was how it was just intended to be. If you ask my mom or my Aunt, I know they'd never, ever have had it any other way...life without their Daddy would be incomprehensible to them. Papa and Mama had Jack and their family was complete!

He LOVED his grandchildren. He was practically a father to my cousins who didn't have one and he always made each and everyone of us feel like the center of his universe. He would pull me into his lap and tell me how beautiful I was and that I looked just like my Mama (which to him was the end all of compliments). He called me Roni Sue and had similar nicknames for everyone...to claim them to whoever they resembled the most, to him. I am so at peace with Papa's death...mainly because he's home with Mama...I think she greeted him at the door with 3 kisses on the mouth and a "How dee do?" A few things special to me about his funeral...Caden was in the room when I heard the news and my need to sensor my conversation was second to making sure that my Mom was okay...after I hung up with her and started packing to get to Corsicana...Caden asked, If Papa was okay and why was he bleeding? I told him Papa went to Heaven to be with Jesus and the Angels and since he's been told that before he seemed very okay with it...he asked if Mama Sue was okay and I assured him she was. He talked to her on the phone and asked her and told her he loved her.

The morning we left for the funeral, Caden told me he had a great idea to make Papa feel better...he'd draw him a picture of Papa's favorite place...his home. He drew a house on grass with my Papa standing next to it about 4 times larger than the home...Papa was complete with his glasses and grey hair. He even drew his shoelaces. He wrote Papa's name on top and Caden's on the bottom. My Mom insisted this go with Papa to heaven so we put it in his coffin. My mom and Aunt also put a single red rose so he'd have to greet Mama in Heaven. Caden was very comfortable seeing Papa and asked to see him several times. He also made sure that I was doing okay. He and Logan enjoyed playing with his cousins/2nd cousins almost all boys and swimming at the hotel.

Before the funeral Heath and I instructed the boys there would be no talking, no running, no crying at the funeral...Logan repeated with a very serious face..."No talking, No running, No crying...Not me Mommy, not me." As we were getting out Caden said, "Mom, tell me the truth, why do we have to be quiet?" I said, well, it's like church...he said is it because Papa is asleep on his way to heaven...which seemed like such a better answer so I said, yes. He then, holding his favorite stuffed monkey, asked if Papa would want to take his monkey with him to Heaven...wiping away a tear I said, No, I think Papa would want you to keep your monkey... Both boys were Angels at the funeral and My Mom spoke about how wonderful of a Dad Papa was. It was a very touching ceremony and very much the end of an era. Mom and her brother and sister have taught us a valuable lesson about returning the love of a parent...you just do what you do and anything less is not an option.

A few randoms pictures and videos...



Caden at the hotel pool...no, it's not a bikini top, it's his goggles! Also, his beard.



And the INFAMOUS Pirate Ship...

No comments:

Followers

Thirty One

Thirty One
Click on the Picture to enter my site