Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Touching Reassurance

As many of you know, a girl that I work with was hospitalized at 26 weeks pregnant with what was assumed to be gallstones. A week later she changed hospitals and it turned out she had a severe intestinal infection and had to have surgery. She went into labor after and delivered a very premature baby. Both of them were fighting for there life and my friend has had multiple surgeries. Her family has decided that the baby, Haley, would be bapitsed today and taken off of life support. Since she was born disconnected from the placenta and she was not passing brain scans, her chances at any life is not possible. Being 24 months pregnant, a mother of 2, this has obviously hit me pretty hard.

When I found out that she was going to be taken off of life support today, I cried. Caden saw me crying and was very alarmed...he climbed up next to me and asked "mommy what happened". Never discussing death or even heaven with my 4 year old, I wasn't sure how to respond...but I just told him that my friends baby had died. His eyes got very big...he knew that was what was making me cry. He said, "Well, if your friends baby died then that baby will see Baby Jesus and if that baby sees Baby Jesus then she will wake up". I looked at him...completely floored. I grabbed him and said, "Caden, how did you know that? Who told you that?" He looked frightened by my alarm and he said, "I think Jesus told me".

Some day, I hope to be able to tell my friend that story. Or someone suffering from a loss of a baby. So simply put by a 4 year old. And I immediately felt so much peace...I knew he was right.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend...I can't even imagine what the family must be going through.

You have a very sweet and insightful little boy - My grandmother swears that babies speak 'angel talk' when they are born and we lose our understanding of it as we get older...maybe Caden is remembering some of those conversations.

Keep up the good work as being parents - little girls like Avery and Karsyn will need boys like Caden when they get older.

Followers

Thirty One

Thirty One
Click on the Picture to enter my site